Sunday 21 March 2010

How does it feel to be the subject of my own project?

I’ve put myself in my neighbours’ shoes earlier today when I became the subject of my own project and was photographed by two of my neighbours.

David and Olalla, the first neighbours I photographed for this project back in January, asked me whether someone would take photographs of myself in my flat and offered to take the photos. As this was always meant to be a participatory project in which my neighbours became protagonists rather than subjects I took this chance and had myself on the other side of the camera.

Interestingly, at the beginning I felt uncomfortable and anxious. I didn’t know what to do, what to expect, how to react. I actually wanted it to be over soon! Giving up power was an interesting experience and a great way to learn how it feels to have someone you do not know well taking your own picture. Photography is intimate and requires trust and confidence between photographer and subject/protagonist. It was valid to put myself in my subject’s shoes and I might from now on do that before I start any project just to make sure I empathise and understand better the ones I photograph.

I appreciate now more than ever how amazing those that took part in this project are!

2 comments:

  1. Si,
    Deve ter sido realmente uma sensação estranha, mas que acrescentará muito ao seu projeto !!
    Bjo
    Baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deve ter sido muito interessante para você ter mudado de lado em relação à câmera fotográfica!
    Um beijo
    Papai

    ReplyDelete