Wednesday 16 December 2009

Learning from the Masters

In the past few months I have attended lots of lectures and talks of photographers, which made my eyes shine and inspired me. But beyond ideas, I also learnt more about the type of photographer I am.

When listening to Tom Stoddard, a well-known English photojournalist, I realized how important it is for me (and not so much for him) to have a relationship with the subject photographed well beyond the fact that a photographer is there to pass a message. I felt reluctant after his lecture and it was only when I met Jenny Matthews, an amazing and poetic photographer that I found comfort that shoots in war and conflict zones can be done with sensitivity, dignity and respect. And that’s the type of photographer I am – I am not only a messenger, but I see photography as a way for change.

Listening to Simon Roberts is always a pleasure. I like the way he works with his family. For the “We English” project his wife and daughter traveled with him around England in a motor-home. Also he is someone who has a background other than photography (geography) and I identify with that. I feel I have something else to say beyond photography techniques. I want to use my background on development and human rights in my photos.

When Christopher Anderson, an intriguing Magnum photographer, talked about the beginning of his career it reminded me about the child inside me. Photography can be a passport to the world and an interesting way to interact with people in a world where face-to-face interactions are less and less common.

Listening to Martin Parr at the BJP’s annual London event, was to say the least a lot of fun. His style is so particular that the photos and his persona merge and it was amazing to spend 2 hours looking at his photos and listening to his irony, obsession and critical style. Fabulous!

Eugene Richards, another great master, makes so penetrating images that I can easily close my eyes now and remember in most detail the prisoner crying, the people in the Mexican hospice or the Iraq war ex-soldiers. His mix of video, interview and photography is powerful and his images stay with you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete